3rd Battalion, 32nd Armor
Brief History- Lineage
Constituted 13 January 1941 in the Regular Army as Company C, 2d Armored Regiment, an element of the 3d Armored Division. Activated 15 April 1941 at Camp Beauregard, Louisiana. Redesignated 8 May 1941 as Company C, 32d Armored Regiment. Transferred 26 June 1944 from 1st Battalion, 32d Armored Regiment, to 3d Battalion, 32d Armored Regiment. Inactivated 10 November 1945 in Germany. Disbanded 7 July 1947.
Reconstituted 28 May 1948 in the Regular Army and redesignated as Company C, 61st Heavy Tank Battalion, an element of the 9th Infantry Division. Activated 12 July 1948 at Ft. Dix, New Jersey. Redesignated 25 May 1954 as Company C, 61st Tank Battalion.
Inactivated 1 December 1957 at Ft. Carson, Colorado; concurrently, redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 3d Medium Tank Battalion (Patton), 32d Armor, Relieved from assignment to 9th Infantry Division. Activated 25 June 1958 at Ft. Stewart, Georgia (organic elements constituted 10 June 1958 and activated 25 June 1958). Redesignated 1 September 1963 as 3d Battalion, 32d Armor; concurrently, transferred (less personnel and equipment) from Ft. Stewart, Georgia, to Germany, assigned to 3d Armored Division, and reorganized.
The Battalion was deactivated 16 June 1986 in Germany and with all personal and equipment being transferred to the 2d Battalion, 67th Armored Regiment.
The Battalion was activated 16 October 1986 at Fort Hood Texas using personal and equipment from the 2d Battalion, 33rd Armored Regiment assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division.
Deployed to Southwest Asia and served in Desert Storm combat operations.
The Battalion was deactivated 16 December 1992 at Fort Hood Texas with all personal and equipment being assigned to the 1st Battalion, 12th Cavalry Regiment.
Campaign Participation Credit
World WW II *Rhineland
*Northern France *Central Europe
Presidential Unit Citation (Army), Streamer embroidered SIEGFRIED LINE
*Belgian Fourrage're 1940 (32d Armored Regiment cited; DA GO 43, 1950)
*Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action in BELGIUM
*Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action in ARDENNES
Sources: Army Lineage Series, Armor- Cavalry: by Mary Lee Stubbs and Stanley Russell Connor.
And some more important history courtesy of Jake Greeling
Modern History of the 3rd Battalion 32nd Armored Regiment
The Scorpion Battalion was disbanded 7 July 1947. It was reconstituted and re-designated 28 May 1948 as Company C 61st Heavy Tank Battalion. It was activated 12 July 1948 at Fort Dix, New Jersey and redesignated 25 May 1954 as Company C 21st Tank Battalion. Inactivated 1 December 1957 at Fort Carson, Colorado, it was concurrently redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 3rd Medium Tank Battalion (Patton), 32ndArmor and was activated at Fort Stewart, Georgia. During their stay at Fort Stewart the members of the 3rd Battalion again exhibited their excellence. Commanded Lt. Col Harry McNamara Jr., until July 1960 the unit was quickly made operational in all respects as was evidenced by being designated as a member of the United States Strategic Army Corps, and receiving a STRAC Superior Unit Award for the training year 1959.
Lt. Col. Clifford E Mize assumed command of the Battalion on 27 July 1960 and continued the fine record. Again the unit a STRAC Superior Unit Award for the training year 1960.
Reorganized, redesignated 1 September 1963 as 3rd Battalion 32nd Armor. The unit was once more assigned to the 3rd Armored Division.
Lt. Col. James A. Manning assumed command of the battalion as it was reassigned to the Division concurrent with it reorganization under the ROAD concept. The Battalion, now nicknamed “The Scorpions” was provided with the cast off equipment of four other battalions. But hard work and long hours overcame this obstacle and the “Scorpion” Battalion took its rightful position with the older units in the Division. “The Scorpions” exhibited their prowess in numerous field exercises, such as “Big Lift”, when the Division out-classed the 2nd Armored Division, and “Winter Track”, when the 3rd Brigade aggressed against the 8th Infantry Division. During all exercises and training the Battalion received nothing but praise from all who observed it in action.
On 1 July 1964 the mantle of leadership of “The Scorpions” passed to Lt. Col. Samuel T. Rhodes. Under his guiding hand the Battalion has been shaped and molded into an even finer instrument.
The Battalion at last began to receive new equipment. The new command post vehicle, the M577, replaced the M113’s, being used for this purpose. M60A1 tanks are being received to replace the M60’s as they become old and worn. M106 Mortar Carriers have replaced the obsolete M84’s with which the Battalion had originally been equipped.
The Scorpions trained at Grafenwohr from 13 August to 3 September. During this time all platoons successfully completed tests and the tankers were able to do some familiarization firing with all tank weapons. Major General Berton E. Spivey 3rd Armored Division Commanding General, visited the unit and went downrange on one of the “Scorpion” tanks.
The Battalion participated in CPX “Fallex 64” and several field exercises during which the companies successfully completed tests. On 5 December 1964 the Scorpions moved out on FTX “Gallant Sword”, a week-long exercise, during which the 3rd Armored Division was opposed by German Army units. The “Scorpions” successfully completed the battalion tests concurrent with the exercise and won high praise from all umpires.
Tank gunnery has been the focal point of all training during 1964. All of the Scorpions have been working long and hard to insure that everything possible has been accomplished. Everyone is confident that the Scorpion Battalion will again lead the Spearhead Division in qualification on Range 42 at Grafenwohr.
After FY 65 ATT’s every effort turned towards the tank gunnery qualification program. During the Division Course held at Grafenwohr in January and February 1965 a Scorpion tank crew won the Commanding General’s trophy for achieving the highest score in the Division (1870 points). The crewmembers were SFC Grier, SP4 Truxal, PFC Daves and SP4 Rittmeller.
Also, in the spring of FY 65, the Scorpion Battalion Armored Cavalry Rifle Squad won fourth (4) place in the Division Mechanized Infantry Proficiency Course, which was conducted at Hoensfels. The squad completed against one hundred and twenty-five (125) other squads from Division units. Its members were: Squad Leader Sgt. Clarence J. Greeling, Alpha Team Leader Sgt. Henry Norris Bravo Team Leader Sgt. Richard Owen (and the six rifleman were- SP4 Gilbert McCann, SP4 Charles Simon, SP4 Paul Thompson, PFC Stanley Carriveau, PFC Louis Johnson, and PFC Lee Smith.
March 1965 saw the Armored Cavalry Platoon’s, Scout Section participating in the Division Scout Crew Qualification Course at Wildeflicken, Germany. SSG William W. Adams’s M114 crew won 1st place and the entire section, under the outstanding leadership of 1st Lt. Thomas M. Montgomery, placed second in the Division competition. Members of the section were: SSG Luis Bumalag, Sgt. Loy Lee, Sgt. Randall Mosely, Sp5 James Parker, PFC Leroy West, PFC Harold Sooter, PFC William Ousley, PFC Terry Wright, PFC John Curtis, PFC Zenon Pomaski, PFC Charles Kassay, PFC Louis Johnson, and PFC Russel Verbeke.
In May 1965 the Scorpions achieved the highest scores ever recorded on a Division CMI. Upon completion of this inspection the Battalion began earnest training for Platoon ATT’s to be held in Hoenfels in July 65.
On 17 July 1965 the Battalion conducted a mounted review to honor the winning company in the Scorpion Panzer Trophy Competition. The ADC/M General Wheeler G. Merriam and the 3rd Brigade Commander, Colonel James W. Cavender was present.