Constituted 29 July 1921 in the Organized Reserves as the 391st Field Artillery and alotted to the Second Corps Area
Organized November 1921 in New York, New York
Withdrawn 1 October 1933 from the Organized Reserves and allotted to the Regular Army
Redesignated 1 January 1942 as the 391st Armored Field Artillery Battalion and assigned to the 3d Armored Division and activated at Camp Polk, Louisiana using personnel and equipment from the 67th Field Artillery
Inactivated 10 November 1945 in Germany
Redesignated 7 July 1947 as the 65th Armored Field Artillery Battalion
Activated 15 July 1947 at Fort Knox, Kentucky
Relieved 25 August 1956 from the 3d Armored Division, redesignated 391st Field Artillery Battalion and inactivated in Germany.